In November-December 2009, the CMC conducted public hearings into allegations of official misconduct involving former ministerial adviser, Simon Tutt.
The CMC examined Mr Tutt’s role in the granting of $4.2 million by the Queensland Government to the Queensland Rugby Union, and the further payment of $200 000 out of those funds to the University of Queensland Rugby Academy. The alleged conduct took place in 2008 when Mr Tutt was a senior ministerial adviser to the Minister for Police, Corrective Services and Sport, the Honourable Judy Spence MP.
The CMC’s investigation brought to light a number of episodes where the interaction between a ministerial adviser and public servants ran contrary to established principles of good government. Comprehensive provisions are now in place to prevent inappropriate interactions between ministerial staff and public servants as outlined in the Ministerial and Other Office Holder Staff Act 2010 and employment contracts. The Ministerial Staff Code of Conduct has also been revised.
Submissions - Review of Ministerial Office and Public Servant interaction
The CMC has endeavoured to publish all relevant written submissions in full.
However, some submissions have been withheld from publication at the request of the author, and some have been edited so as to remove personal information, and material not pertaining to the CMC’s review or not appropriate for publication.
The CMC is grateful for those organisations and individuals who have taken the time to provide a submission. All submissions were taken into account.
- Ken Cullum ESM
- Scott Flavell
- Michael Forde
- John-Paul Langbroek MP, Leader of the Opposition
- Craig Matheson, Deputy Director-General, Sport and Recreation Services, Department of Communities
- Pamela Millican AFSM
- Dr David Solomon AM, Queensland Integrity Commissioner
- Dr Anne Tiernan, Griffith University
- Cape York Land Council/Balkanu Cape York Development Corporation P/L
- Department of the Premier and Cabinet
- Institute of Public Administration Australia (IPAA)
- Queensland Public Section Union (QPSU)
- Whistleblowers Action Group Qld Inc.
- Public submission 1
- Public submission 15