Corruption investigations and related activities – results for 1 May to 19 August 2016
The results on this page reflect the information reported to the Parliamentary Crime and Corruption Committee at the last joint public meeting held on 12 September 2016.
- Finalised 19 corruption investigations resulting in 31 recommendations for disciplinary action against five public sector employees and 10 QPS officers.
- 345 corruption matters currently under investigation.
- A former public servant and a director of a Sydney-based construction company were charged with fraud.
- A 38-year-old serving constable was charged for the alleged unauthorised use of the QPS database.
- A 47-year-old serving sergeant from Brisbane was charged for alleged unauthorised use of the QPS database. A CCC investigation determined there was no prospect of a successful criminal prosecution of a complaint alleging excessive use of force by QPS officers on the Gold Coast.
- A 41-year-old Queensland Police Service constable was charged with grievous bodily harm.
- A 44-year-old current senior constable was charged with two offences of assault occasioning bodily harm.
- Completion of Project Synergy. The allegations related to the misuse of funds and QPS resources, misuse of corporate credit cards and inappropriate travel practices by the QPS Fraud and Cyber Crime Group. Recommendations were made to the QPS relating to disciplinary action and procedural recommendations, no criminal charges were recommended.
- A CCC report was published Confidential information: Unauthorised access, disclosure and the risks of corruption in the Queensland public sector (PDF).
- Received 815 complaints of corruption containing 1903 allegations of corruption:
- 66% (1249) related to police
- 23% (440) related to public sector agencies (including government-owned corporations)
- 10% (198) related to local government
- 1% (16) related to other agencies.
- Assessed 860 complaints
- Closely monitored and reviewed 42 public sector and police matters
- Commenced 27 new investigations
- Finalised 19 investigations.
- CCC to hold public forum - 16 August 2016
- CCC finalises investigation into Project Synergy - 5 August 2016
- 44-year-old Senior Constable to face assault charges - 20 July 2016
- Police officer charged with grievous bodily harm - 7 July 2016
- No criminal action to be taken by CCC against QPS officers - 30 June 2016
- Police officer charged for unauthorised access and disclosure of confidential information - 22 June 2016
- CCC to examine whether publicising allegations of corrupt conduct is in the public interest - 1 June 2016