Personal tools

Skip links and keyboard navigation

You are here: Home Investigating corruption Police misconduct
You are here: Home Investigating corruption Police misconduct
You are here: Home Investigating corruption Police misconduct

What is police misconduct?

Under the Crime and Corruption Act 2001, police, like other public sector officers are subject to the provisions regarding “corrupt conduct” (see what is corrupt conduct?). They are also subject to provisions regarding “police misconduct”.

Police misconduct is any conduct by a police officer that:

  • is disgraceful, improper or unbecoming a police officer, or
  • shows unfitness to be or continue as a police officer, or
  • does not meet the standard the community reasonably expects of a police officer.

If you are concerned about the conduct of a police officer and want to report it, consider whether the conduct is police misconduct or rather a customer service issue or minor breach of conduct.

Examples of customer services issues or minor breaches include:

  • a slow response to your call
  • simple rudeness
  • failure of an officer to identify him/herself.

Customer service matters should be reported directly to the Queensland Police Service (QPS). Use the QPS online complaint form or direct your complaint or query to any police station.

Who do I report police misconduct to?

You can report police misconduct to the CCC or to the QPS who is then legally obliged to notify the CCC.

Last updated: 09 April 2015
Other languages

We can help you by providing an interpreter. Alternatively, you can call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 for language assistance.

Report corruption

Report misconduct here >

Do you have information or a complaint about conduct of a public sector officer (including police)?

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people

We have an Indigenous complaints officer on staff. If you would prefer to speak directly to this officer, just ask when you contact us.

Rate this page

How useful was the information on this page?